The Maple Street Community Garden is located at 237 Maple Street, in Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn. In 2012, residents of the neighborhood began planning to transform a trash-strewn 60′ x 100′ vacant lot into a multipurpose garden and community space.
Our Mission is to:
- Create a space for the community to grow organic fruits and vegetables.
- Provide local residents access to outdoor space.
- Provide a community gathering space.
- Create a venue for teaching children about growing their own food.
- Build relationships between the neighborhood and nearby schools.
We have non-profit 501 (c) 3 status through our fiscal sponsor Trailblazers (http://trailblazers.org), whose headquarters are just a few blocks away.
We have active relationships with two local schools:
1) Lefferts Gardens Montessori (http://www.mylgm.com)
2) Lefferts Gardens Charter School (http://www.leffertsgardens.org)
Children from both schools have visited the garden, learned about nature, and participated in planting and gardening.
The garden is available for community events. We have hosted a greenhouse building workshop, a tree giveaway program, a shed-building project, a community barbecues, and a mural painting workshop.